Portuguese gave the name “Formosa”,
while these indigenous people lived the name “Taiwan”
Travel with indigenous Taivoan
Learn the True Stories of Taiwan!
Sticky rice cake, fried banana, and chicken soup with Formosan thistle,
lucky us to feast on the dishes usually served for the Goddesses!
The tribal grannies can’t wait to put on their traditional dress
that are as purple as the flowers that their ancestors liked one century ago
The dancers have learnt how to sing the old ceremonial song Kalawahe
on the very day chosen by the Seven Ancestral Spirits
Wherein we shall follow the elders to the Great River of Namasia
and finish the “obligatory course” of every tribal kids — fish catching
Eventually drive into the deep valley of the old Xiaolin
to learn the story of diaspora of “True Taiwanese people”
and the nostalgia why they can never go home again!
* English tour guide available!
* All the local services, incl. guides, meals, accommodation, and inter-tribal transportation,
are provided by the local indigenous to support the sustainability of the communities.
– Location: Kaoshiung
– Length of Tour: 2 Days 1 Night
– Trip Date:
- Nov 19 (Sat) – Nov 20 (Sun)
- Pick up at 11am on Nov 19 at Zuoying High Speed Rail Station.
- Return to Zuoying High Speed Rail Station by 7pm on Nov 20
- NT$ 3,700 per person (or early-bird rate NT$ 3,490 with payment due one week before trip date)
- The price includes 4 meals, local shuttle bus, 1-night accommodation, all the local guides, and two-day insurance.
- Optional items:
- +NT$ 100 per person for shared bed with A/C (available between May and Oct)
Day 1 –
- Make your first bamboo fishing trap with indigenous elders
- Guided tour around indigenous Sunrise Xiaolin community
- Lunch featuring indigenous Taivoan ingredients
- Sacred dance and song performed by Taivoan Theatre
- Learn ancient indigenous dancing path
- Experience wild herb gathering (depending on the season)
- Dinner with indigenous people in Sunrise Xiaolin
Day 2 –
- Insightful guided tour into old Xiaolin community along the Namasia River
- Solemn visit of the sacred Taivoan Shrine in Wulipu
- Learn the long-forgotten ancient Banana Colloquial Speech from a Taivoan psychic
- Comprehensive guided tour of the first Museum of the Plain Indigenous Peoples in Taiwan
- Guided tour around Xiaolin Memorial Park & Wulipu community tour
- Learn how to use fishing trap by the Namasia River
With a shuttle bus, we will guide you into the old community of Xiaolin, learning the history of diaspora of indigenous Taivoan people along the Great River of Namasia, where they encountered Kanakanavu and Bunun people and gradually develop their unique and colourful culture as “the only Plain Indigenous people living in mountains”. There we will visit the most ancient shrine of Taivoan people and, if ancestral spirits allow, we could hear a young psychic speak the long-forgetten language of Banana Colloquial Speech, which Taivoan people invented for internal communication during the time of fighting against Japanese army.
This is the only tour in Taiwan with a comprehensive guided trip into Taivoan communities, where you will learn more about the original stories of Taiwan!
* Touching guided tour around old Xiaolin, learning how the people have been struggling to recover from the most fatal typhoon Morakot.
* Feeling the solemnity of the oldest Taivoan shrine and the mysterious Banana Colloquial Speech.
* Making a fishing trap by yourself, and learning how to use it for real — It is fun!
Now Sign Up for Tour!
E-mail us to [email protected] with:
1. NO. of Participants
2. Trip Date
1. One should pay respect and obey to the local rules whenever you are in an indigenous community.
2. Please bring your personal belongings, including a personal identification, social security card, personal medicine, rain gear, water bottle, backpack, mosquito repellent, and sun block.
3. We reserve the right to cancel any trip before it is guaranteed to run. We reserve the right to cancel any trip, including a guaranteed trip, prior to departure due to reasons outside its control (i.e. natural disasters or political instability). In such a case, we will refund the trip price.
4. Cancellation policy: In case of trip cancellation, please refer to the policies below:
- 7 days or more prior to trip date – loss of 5% of total price
- 3-6 days prior to trip date – loss of 50% of total price
- 1-2 days prior to trip date – loss of 75% of total price
- Less than 1 day – no refund
- No refund will be made if you voluntarily leave a trip for any reason after the trip has begun.
You may be allowed to assign your registration to others. Please feel free to contact us for more details:
- Mobile: 0911-231762
- E-mail: [email protected]